Slide show

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Transplant plans (March 17, 2007)



Family and Friends,

As many of you know, life has been quite exciting for us lately. We welcomed our little girl, Tess Caroline into the world February 7th and she is one cute, sweet baby. We think it was quite miraculous that I was able to be at her birth and feeling well enough to enjoy her and our family for the last while. Right before her birth my blood counts were as high as they have been since my diagnosis which enabled us to mentally and physically to take a break from cancer. About a week after Tess was born my counts started to go down and we met with my oncologist shortly thereafter. My doctor decided that we had waited long enough and with my counts going down and being transfusion dependent again, it was time to move quickly and go forward with the transplant. So, that is what we are doing. I have already received one dose of chemotherapy and will be admitted to the hospital Monday where I will be treated with 5 consecutive days of intensive chemo. The objective of this is to completely wipe out my bone marrow, along with my immune system. Following this, I will receive my bone marrow stem cell transplant Monday, March 26th. I hope to be able to come home from the hospital sometime in the middle of April. I decided before chemo, my hair should go out in a blaze of glory… hence the “CheMohawk.” Quinn parted my hair and the boys had free reign with the clippers. They had a grand time! Quinn has loved traipsing around with me and my new look!

Thank you for all your prayers, love and support! I will have my computer at the hospital and seeing as me and my immune system have to earn the privilege of walking out of my room to the nurses’ station, emails and calls will be great communication and a means of access to the outside world.

Thank you again,
Jon

No comments: