Slide show

Friday, September 19, 2008

One more story...

I do have more than one child, but Cale has had the funniest stories as of late. So the other day I'm talking and having a wonderful conversation with Jon's sister on the phone for half an hour. While I'm talking I'm looking for my cell phone which I assume Tess has hidden. The last time she had it she put it in Tate's back pack. And then what do I do...I call it to try to find it. Tate's teacher confiscated it and turned it off. I'm sure she really appreciated that and is wondering what we are thinking sending our first grader to school with a cell phone. But after four days of being lost--I found it in the furthest recesses of furniture with a small pile of toys. Thank you Tess! When I finished my conversation I realized that it had been way too long since I was interrupted and that the house was way too quiet even with Tess sleeping. Cale had gone over to the neighbors without asking or telling me where he was going. I went over and got him and our walk home was filled with concern about where he might have been. I carried him to his room and told him he needed to stay there and think a bit of how worried I might be if I couldn't find him and how he needs to remember to ask me when he wants to go next door. Shutting the door seems to add the final insult and now he is just wailing in his room. I have a remarkable ability to tune things out. Try to have a conversation with me while I'm reading a book and you'll understand. I am using some of these "skills" till I realize that he's not just crying he's screaming/sobbing something. I think he realizes that if he is just crying or whining about his plight he'll be in his room quite awhile. However, I realize that he's not whining at all but screaming at the very top of his lungs in between his sobs "I WUV YOU MOM!" even louder "I WUV YOU MOM!!" Now how on earth can I ignore that. I didn't realize a new tactic to get out of a punishment would be to tell me that they love me. But apparently, I'm a sucker and it seems to be pretty effective!

3 comments:

The Kerr Family said...

Oh, you big softie! Thankfully Miles and Gray haven't discovered that tactic yet.
Love all of your stories. Your children are highly entertaining.

Kaija said...

ok, so I was laughing so hard when I was reading your DDR experience of a lifetime! I used to think I was so good at it, until I saw my friend do it and she danced to the hardest song. I really think next time you should be taking pictures of your dancing! I mean you were the cheerleading teacher! I can just picture you dancing away while your kids are shouting your name! hilarious! well hope all is well and have a great day!

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Quinn, I am so excited I found your blog. I have been reading all about what you all have had to go through these past couple of years and am sitting here with tears in my eyes. What an amazing story and what a strong family. I haven't talked to you since my husband was thinking of interviewing at N. Carolina about 6.5 years ago. We ended up at Ohio State and were very happy with the decision. I'd love to catch up if you'd like to email. djorme@gmail.com

Your family is beautiful!!!