Slide show

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mother ettiquette and Junior Jazz

So Tate signed up to play Junior Jazz basketball on a city recreation team. I was thinking this would be a great introduction to basketball and seeing as we had such a good experience with baseball we thougt Tate would love the new experience. Tate enjoys signing up for soccer, but he's just as interested in the dandelions as the ball so I was pleasantly surprised that he was actually pretty good at basketball. It is really the only sport we watch as a family. Apparently watching the Tar Heels paid off a bit.

He had a basketball game today and apparently some teams take the title "Jr. Jazz" literally. I knew we were in trouble when the other team was there five minutes early warming up doing lay ups. I don't think half the kids on our team knew what a lay up was. The average opponent's height was 6 inches taller than our kids, and I could tell it was going to be ugly.

It was 28 to 0 before we ever scored. My blood started to boil as the parents on the other team kept on cheering and egging on their team to "steal the ball," "block him out," and other such defensive commands. The rule of the league for this age group is that teams can't guard in the back court so it was a wall right across the half court line. All six members of the opposing team stood guard to steal away the ball as soon as our players crossed the line. It wasn't till the third quarter when the score was 34-2 when I could take it no longer and stood up and started to yell from across the court, "Hey coach, how about you let them shoot?" They clearly made their statement. Out of sportsmanship and the fact that they are seven, I didn't think letting them shoot one time before the pirrahanas were let out was too much to expect. I only made it half way through before Jon grabbed my coat and I sat back down. It wasn't that he disagreed, but pointed out that the boys were happy and getting upset would only get them upset. My mother ettiquette obviously needs to improve a bit.

It said it all when it was time for team treats. Our kids went out to the lobby and had a capri sun and sliced apples and oranges. The other team got to pick out a treat sack that was piled in a huge basket and set out at center court for everyone to see. Each treat bag had been carefully packed with a fruit snack, bouncy ball, glow in the dark stick, sheet of stickers and assorted candy with an enormous bow around the top.

Are parents this stupid and competitive everywhere else in the world, or did we happen to get more than our fair share in Utah?

4 comments:

Sarah Harris said...

That's such a sad story Quinn. I have heard that parents are just as insufferable in Chapel Hill and parts of Durham. I would imagine that as people continue to live out there dreams in their 7-year olds, this scenario won't change!

faith said...

Wow. I'm sorry it was so bad. I hope it's not always like that. That sure makes it harder to teach your kids to enjoy playing the game when they don't even have the chance to really play. Our kids aren't old enough for us to know how things are here in Oklahoma - hopefully not like that!

Your Christmas card, by the way, looks great! I can't believe how big your kids are getting.

lindsay eyre said...

Hey you--

Our phone (vonage box) has been broken for two weeks. We finally got the new box on Saturday and Sam said you called. I'll call you tomorrow! I think parents are that stupid everywhere. We all need to move to the same block where our kid can play pick up baseball games and we aren't even there!
love
linds

CA said...

https://www.cekaja.com/kartu-kredit/pengajuan